Kyle Dobbs, professional tall guy and mentor to trainers/coaches around the world, joins the show today to talk about developing world-class coaches and, of course, picking things up and putting them back down. We kick things off getting into Kyle’s background as a collegiate athlete and how he found strength and conditioning, and then transition to talk about his mentorship group. In particular, we dive into understanding what your limiting factor is as a coach and the importance of language constructs. If you keep alphabet souping people and using big words because you think it makes you smart, please stop.
From there, we talk all things lifting, getting into Kyle’s current thought processes when it comes to programming. Topics covered include designing a training week, high-low or 3-3 splits, phase progression, complexity curves, consolidation of stressors, and much much more. If you’re a coach looking to up your game, or an athlete trying to better understand how to structure your programming, then this episode is for you.
3:30 – Mustaches, dad strength, and testosterone
5:00 – How Kyle got into Strength and Conditioning
9:00 – My selfish reason for getting into Strength and Conditioning
12:00 – Our woes as collegiate athletes
15:30 – What are the most significant things Kyle sees trainers and coaches missing the boat on
19:00 – Reaching the point of diminishing returns with your education
22:30 – What’s your limiting factor as a coach
27:00 – The importance of language constructs as a coach
40:00 – Programming talk (high-low splits, 3-3 splits, strength, hypertrophy, endurance)
49:00 – Proprioceptive assistance work and the complexity curve
60:00 – Knowing when to pick “dumb” movements
71:00 – Kyle’s top-recommended resources
Links and stuff:
1. Instagram: @compoundperformance
2. Website: https://www.compoundperformance.com/
3. James Cerbie: @jamescerbie
6. Zac Cupples The Human Matrix
7. Pat Davidson Rethinking the Big Patterns
8. Why Zebras Don’t Get Ulcers
PLUS: Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team.Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.