Steve Tripp, owner of The Top Strength Project in Providence, Rhode Island, and all-around superhuman strength athlete joins the show today to talk all things strength training. Steve brings TONS of under the bar experience and coaching hours to the table, and we have a lot of fun jamming on training methodologies, accessory work, training your weaknesses, and the need to fall in love with the process. We also poke fun at people who break a sweat when peeling an orange. Hopefully, this isn’t you.
Besides actionable, nuts and bolts training advice, Steve and I also dive into mindset and how important it is to not let your ego get in your way. In particular, if you are a big fish in a small pond, then it’s time for a change. If you are the strongest person in the room, or the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.
Top to bottom, this is a fantastic talk, and you will walk away as a better athlete, coach, and human after listening to it.
4:00 – Steve’s entry into competitive strength sports
7:25 – The Top Strength Project
10:00 – Appreciating the overlap in different strength sports
12:00 – Training at HIGH volumes
17:00 – Books smarts and under the bar experience
22:30 – What does training look like for Steve Tripp
27:30 – Training your weaknesses
32:00 – Accessory work, strength biases, and size biases
36:00 – Steve’s go-to accessory moves to bring up the big 4
46:00 – Using strength standards to objectively determine your weak points
51:30 – RPE scales
56:00 – To get optimal results it’s 100% everything
Links and stuff:
· Steve Tripp: @strippcam
· The Top Strength Project: https://www.thetopstrengthproject.com/
· The Top Strength Project: @thetopstrengthproject
· James Cerbie: @jamescerbie
· TRAIN: https://train.jamescerbie.com/
· Silverback: https://www.silverbacktrainingproject.com/
· Rebel Performance: https://jamescerbie.com/
· Matt Wenning: https://www.wenningstrength.com/
· Brandon Allen: @brandon_allen88
· PRI: https://www.posturalrestoration.com/
· Stan Efferding: https://stanefferding.com/
PLUS: Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team.Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.