Dr. Michelle Boland joins the show today to dive into coach’s education, models, rigid mindsets, movement, and, of course, programming. Right off the bat, Michelle and I get into her background, talk about our mutual grad school experiences, and get a look into why Michelle left collegiate strength and conditioning to join the private world.
From there, Michelle and I spend our time talking about education and how ridiculous it is that people keep trying to have “right vs. wrong” conversations. As opposed to thinking critically, learning as much as you can, and asking meaningful questions like “why do the athletes need to do these things?” I will mention that if you are squatting on a physioball, though, then you are wrong. OH SO WRONG. So please stop.
To wrap things up, we get into programming for gen pop clients vs. high-level collegiate athletes and share our two cents on our deepest desire for strength and conditioning as a field to please move past Powerlifting as the “gold standard.” All in all, it’s an hour chock full of actionable takeaways, and hopefully, you leave realizing that if you are still straight bar back squatting your athletes, you should stop. Unless your athlete is competing in Powerlifting, of course.
3 min: Michelle’s foray into academia
13 min: Why Michelle left collegiate strength and conditioning to go private
20 min: All things coach’s education
26 min: Using exercises themselves as the intervention
32 min: The importance of context and environment when we talk about pain
34 min: Knowing what not to do is key
42 min: Michelle gets into programming for gen pop
48 min: Michelle gets into off-season programming for elite hockey players
56 min: Michelle’s favorite resources
Links and stuff:
1. Michelle Boland Website: https://www.michelleboland-training.com/
2. Michelle Boland: @mboland18
3. James Cerbie: @jamescerbie
4. TRAIN: https://train.jamescerbie.com/
5. Silverback: https://www.silverbacktrainingproject.com/
6. Rebel Performance: https://jamescerbie.com/
7. Bill Hartman The Intensive: https://billhartmanpt.com/
8. Pat Davidson Rethinking the Big Patterns: https://drpatdavidson.com/
9. Seth Oberst: https://sethoberst.com/
PLUS: Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team.Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.