Today’s guests are Dr. Mike T. Nelson and Dr. Tommy Wood.
Mike T. Nelson, CSCS, CISSN, MSME, PhD is a fitness consultant with a passion for biomechanics, exercise physiology, and neurology. He is the owner of Extreme Human Performance, an instructor for health and fitness at Globe University. Mike graduated with a PhD in Kinesiology, Biomedical Engineering from the University of Minnesota.
Dr. Tommy Wood is a Research assistant professor at the University of Washington in the Department of Pediatrics. He also serves as President of Physicians for Ancestral Health, and on the scientific advisory board of Hintsa Performance. Tommy graduated with a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry from the University of Cambridge, a medical degree from the University of Oxford, and a PhD in physiology and neuroscience from the University of Oslo.
Mike and Tommy cover two primary topics in today’s episode: the concept of the physiologic reserve/headroom/bioenergetic reserve and misnomers around breathing. The overall theme they tackle is that the organism needs stress, not just for performance, but for health, longevity, and healthy aging.
Listen in as Mike and Tommy discuss the concept of the physiologic headroom, applying stress to improve an athlete’s level of antifragility, and increasing cognitive control over your breathing.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- [02:25] A primer on the concept of the bioenergetic reserve
- [14:42] Increasing your physiologic flexibility
- [20:55] How the brain factors into improving physiologic reserve
- [27:06] Exercise versus recreation
- [33:16] What people get wrong regarding breathing
- [42:28] A primer on nasal breathing
- [51:24] Nasal breathing versus mouth breathing
- [58:14] Mike and Tommy’s parting advice
Reach out to Dr. Mike T Nelson and Dr. Tommy Wood:
Dr. Tommy Wood
- Email: [email protected]
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/drmiketnelson/
Dr. Mike T Nelson:
- Email: [email protected] (this is his wife Jodie who functions as his executive assistant)
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/drtommywood/